Next class runs 1-22 Feb 2023
As I wrote in Critiques: Online or via Email, let me ask you two questions which might save you some time before reading this page; Do you want to improve your writing? Are you willing to pay to improve?
If the answer to either of those is No then read no further, this page isn’t for you.
Answered Yes to both? Read on.
I offer a writing class, one class each week, four weeks running, starting the first Wednesday of the month and going until we hit four Wednesdays. There’s a morning session and an evening session to accommodate people in different time zones. You get to choose one and you have to stick with it to take part.
I would highly recommend working with Joseph to anyone who would like to seriously improve their writing. I’ve been in the publishing world for over a decade and he has been one of the best editors and critique partners I have had. He edits with unparalleled precision, care, and quality — there is no doubt that he takes his editing seriously, and he genuinely wants to see your writing improve and flourish. His feedback offers a perfect blend of well-meaning honesty, professional guidance, constructive criticism, and concrete suggestions for improvement. I always come away from our editing sessions feeling encouraged and inspired. There is no doubt that my writing is leaps and bounds better thanks to Joseph’s commentary. – Award Winning Poet, Writer, and Editor Clarabelle Miray Fields
What will we cover?
The usuals: Atmosphere, Character, Critiques, Description, Dialogue, Editing, Exposition, Language, Mood, Pace, Plot, POV, Scenes, Setting, StoryCrafting, StoryTelling, Structure, Style, Tone, Viewpoint, Voice, Throughlines, …
Price is 100$US for the four classes. No makeups. Miss a class, bummer, dude. That noted, the classes will be recorded for my benefit (helps me improve my teaching methodology). If all participants agree, the recording will be available for review afterwards.
Rules and Restrictions
- Each week we’ll look at something participants have written and analyze it for weaknesses, strengths, and make suggestions to improve the piece itself. If nobody offers anything I’ll either offer something I’ve written or take an excerpt from a book currently on the market.
- We are respectful and honoring of each other especially when we’re eviscerating each others’ work. People are not their work, and everyone is working towards some goal. Our purpose is to help each other towards their goal.
- Along with the above, all genres are welcome because all genres have something to teach us.
- My end goal is to teach you enough so you’ll a) not need me any more or b) be able to confidently go on to someone more capable than I (and let me know who they are. I’m learning, too!).
- Should I look at your work and believe I’m not going to be helpful (or I simply enjoy reading it), I’ll let you know, refund your payment, and may suggest a critique group to you.
- Each class is two (2) hours long and may run over if everyone agrees. The meetings are via Zoom.
- Each class starts with an exercise which is the equivalent of musicians’ exercises to learn technique. The goal is to stimulate your creativity in the class and provide you methods to get yourself out of slumps and avoid blocks.
- Class fees are non-refundable. Class size is ten (10) or fewer.
- Can’t afford my rates? Contact me. If you’re working hard at your craft, I’ll work hard to make sure you get any help I can offer.
Next class runs 1-22 Feb 2023
Fill in the form below and I’ll get you in the schedule.