[[Cozy Author Donna Huston Murray and I Have a Lively Discussion (Part 2)]]
Well, we’re at it again.
As I wrote in Cozy Author Donna Huston Murray and I Have a Lively Discussion (Part 1), I long ago interviewed Donna and we remained friends ever since. Donna helped me with some troublesome characters, plotting, and some marketing, and I sent her flowers and chocolate.
Okay, not really but I wanted to.
We stayed in touch and recently came up with an idea for an non-interview; just sitting and talking with each other. Minimal selling, lots of sharing.
Part 1 is linked to above.
This time out we discuss
- Plotting v Pantsing
- Winning awards – being a bridesmaid
- being insecure
- playing pro football
- Making sure you have extra rolls of film for your camera
- How to get awards and their value as an author
- Scam Awards
- The SIEVE writing method
- the value of constantly learning and studying
- Writers’ Block
- Listening to yourself
- Using (and not using) visual description
- Why readers skim lengthy descriptions/exposition/narration
- The power of present-tense fillers
- Getting a character’s voice down/Getting your authorial voice down
- Writing characters unlike you
- The stupidity of agents
- and Characters with exploitable weaknesses